When I talk to teachers, the majority share that their least favourite Science unit is Electricity! And I get it. The topic can get dry and there's only so many ways to teach what you need to teach. I crafted this center based, student led product to help put learning in the hands of the student and ensure students are busy the entire time they are at a center (because I hate it when one group is done and has nothing to do!).
Included in this product:
1. Tips & Tricks page where I share what to do to make this activity run as smoothly as possible
2. Set Up and Instructions for each center where I explain what supplies are needed and what the focus of the center is. I keep supplies to a minimum (less prep for you!) but share what you can include if you want to increase student engagement and building time
3. Bonus Activities explanation page, which includes a review of the 6 bonus assignments included on top of all the centers for students to work on if they finish a center early. I share what topics are covered in each activity so you can be confident your students are working on activities that keep them thinking about the concepts taught via the centers
4. 6 Center signs which give clear directions and list materials for students to review prior to starting to ensure they are on track
5. 6 Centers. Each center involves building, moving and/or creating. Multiple centers have additional pages to reinforce the concepts taught. Attention was paid to include different options of these sheets- some versions have more directions and visuals, others have less, so you can pick what will work best for your students
6. 5 Bonus activities- fill in the blanks, word searches, vocabulary review and more will keep your students focused and busy on electricity and magnetism if they finish their center early.
7. Answer keys for everything!
Key concepts covered: electrical safety, series circuits, simple circuits, conductors, insulators, parallel circuits, electromagnets and electricity and school and home.
Looking for more? Check out:
Electricity Exit Slips
Electrical Safety Task Cards
The Electric Company Logo Contest