This no-prep paper AND digital paperless product is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, and tests you need to teach your electricity and magnetism unit in your physical science class. Content covered includes electric charge, transfer of charge, current, voltage, resistance, Ohm’s Law calculations, parallel and series circuit drawings, total resistance calculations (Honors only) and the basics of magnetism. Links to video lectures are included for all notes. All assessments are differentiated for two levels – CP and Honors. Not only that, but the student packets come in a paperless digital version that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™. This is perfect for the teacher who is in a 1:1 classroom or for someone who is hoping to integrate more educational technology to move towards becoming a paperless classroom. Because it is all-inclusive, it is especially useful for new teachers, maternity leave, and flipped classrooms!
Note: This is Unit 4 in my Physical Science Curriculum Full Year Bundle. You can buy this unit for 20% off if you purchase as a part of my full year bundle.
What content is covered in this unit?
- Electric charge
- Transfer of charge: conduction, friction, and induction
- Conductors and insulators
- Current, voltage, and resistance
- Ohm’s Law calculations
- Series and parallel circuits
- Circuit drawing
What is included?
I strongly encourage you to download the 18-page preview for this product. It will give you the best idea of what all is included – because there is so much in this! In short:
- 10 pages of teacher implementation notes
- Editable unit plans for 50-minute and 90-minute classes
- Two 24 and 28-page PDF student packets (one for CP and one for Honors) that include:
- Unit outline with objectives and vocabulary terms for each concept covered for students to use to make their own study guides from
- Notes outlines for each of the four main concepts in Cornell Note format
- Lab Station Activity for Exploring Electricity (inquiry based)
- Electric Charge and Current Crossword Puzzle Activity
- Lab Investigation: Building Circuits (inquiry based)
- Real World Reading: Everyday Electromagnets (using QR codes!)
- 8 pages of practice handouts
- Access to ALL of the materials in the student packets in a digital paperless format that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™
- 5 fully animated PowerPoints of notes – 63 slides – with teaching tips, embedded examples, and editable text
- Links to YouTube video lectures for each of the PowerPoint notes – perfect for absent students or flipped classrooms!
- 2 quizzes and 2 unit tests with multiple choice, open response, answer sheets, and detailed answer keys (CP and Honors)
What is so great about the digital student packets that are included?
- You can go PAPERLESS in your classroom if you want – no more dreaded mornings at the copy machine!
- You still get all of the organization of my packet strategy, just now in digital format too!Students will be able to access their packets ANYWHERE. No more, “I forgot my binder so I couldn’t do (fill in the blank)”
- Students can print their filled in packets or an extra blank copy easily from home
- You can now have a mixed classroom with some students paperless and others not. You can also start with just doing a few units digitally and others on paper. Whatever works best for you and your students. The point here is that you now have OPTIONS!
- You have increased flexibility for students to easily learn and be connected outside the walls of your classroom.
- A built in opportunity to help students grow in their digital literacy.
What Next Generation Science Standards are covered?
- MS-PS2-3: Ask questions about data to determine the factors that affect the strength of electric and magnetic forces.
- MS-PS2-5: Conduct an investigation and evaluate the experimental design to provide evidence that fields exist between objects exerting forces on each other even though the objects are not in contact.
- MS-PS3-2: Develop a model to describe that when the arrangement of objects interacting at a distance changes, different amounts of potential energy are stored in the system.
- HS-PS2-5: Plan and conduct an investigation to provide evidence that an electric current can produce a magnetic field and that a changing magnetic field can produce an electric current.
- HS-PS2-6: Communicate scientific and technical information about why the molecular-level structure is important in the functioning of designed materials.
- HS-PS3-5: Develop and use a model of two objects interacting through electric or magnetic fields to illustrate the forces between objects and the changes in energy of the objects due to the interaction.
Note: If you aren’t sure how your state standards compare to the NGSS, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a PDF or link to your state standards for Physical Science and I will be happy to review them for you prior to you making a purchase!
What types of files are included?
When you download this product you will receive a zip file with 5 folders of files. Most of the documents in this product are secured PDF’s, meaning you can print them but not copy or edit the text. The paperless digital student packets will be accessed via a Google Drive™ link in a PDF file that students can type into but not change the essential content of. Editable versions are only included for the unit plans, quizzes, tests and some aspects of the activities for you to customize for your classroom. The PowerPoint lecture notes also have editable text. This is to protect the copyright and intellectual property of my own work, plus the work of many dedicated clip artists that are included in this product. If you have questions about this, please don’t hesitate to email me with them!
Why use a “packet” instead of an interactive notebook?
I started creating packets for my students four years ago, and I love them so much more than interactive notebooks. While interactive notebooks are great resources, I have found the packet strategy to be a more appropriate tool for using in the secondary classroom setting. I love using the packet for many reasons. I only have to make copies one time each unit instead of copying handouts every day. Even though it takes a while to copy the packets for each student, it saves so much time on the day to day. (Also the last few years I’ve recruited seniors to be my “Teacher’s Aide” and have trained them to copy all of my packets for me. I haven’t seen a copier in four years and it’s glorious!) Now you can go DIGITAL and PAPERLESS, never making any copies ever again!It puts responsibility back on the students to maintain their physical science binder with their packet, while also aiding them in practicing organization skills. It has been incredibly effective for my lower level students. Even though it is a lot of papers at once, I can watch them put it in their binder and leave it there, rather than having to hang on to 100 individual papers passed out each day. It makes it so easy to be absent last minute. If you or your child gets sick, sub plans are a breeze. You don’t have to send your teacher neighbor to make copies for you – because your students have everything they need already. You just have to tell the sub which pages the students need to work on. The structure is more suited to what students will be doing in college – and one of our goals as secondary teachers should be to prepare our students for college. The packet helps students learn how to structure notes (I give students Cornell-style note outlines for each concept – more on that later) which I have found helps provide scaffolding for them to be able to write notes all on their own in later high school years. Time saver in so many ways – no more time wasted regularly passing out handouts, or having to cut and paste things into A notebook. Students do a better job keeping up with returned graded work because every page is numbered so they can put graded assignments right back into the packet where it came from. You no longer need a filing cabinet – you can keep all of your curriculum and keys organized in binders for easy transport to and from your classroom!
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
Designing curriculum for an entire unit that is engaging, activity-based, and standard-aligned can be exhausting. I’ve spent over 5 years creating this curriculum and have had amazing results. I had a 96% pass rate on the State standardized End-of-Course exam for Non-Honors students and a 100% pass rate for honors students. This was at a South Carolina Public School with over 50% of the students being below the poverty line. My average score on the EOC (all 200+ students combined that I taught over 2 years) was a 90%. I believe this success is due to multiple factors, but I attribute a lot of it to the packet curriculum I have designed. Honestly, I could go on and on about the packet as a resource and why I love it so much, but I think you will find as you use it that you will fall in love with it too. Last but not least, this product comes with links to video lectures for each set of notes. This resource + all of the detailed lesson plans makes this product perfect for teachers new to this subject, going on maternity leave for a long-term sub, or using a flipped classroom strategy.
Want this for a different unit?
I have made this product for every traditional physical science unit. You can also buy this product for:
Or get all of the units at a 20% discount if you buy the full year curriculum!
Looking for complementary resources?
My daily bell ringers and vocabulary review games are not included in this product, but you can find them for this unit by clicking below! (Plus they include energy, which is the unit I teach before this!)
Teach biology too?
Check out my Biology Curriculum Full Year Bundle!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have before you make your purchase!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
Follow me on TpT, join my email list, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
- Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
- Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
- Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not:
- Upload this product to any unsecured website or server that other teachers can access for free.
- Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
- Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*Note: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.