Art Lesson: Cut-and-Glue Owls
Art with Mrs. Nguyen
This is by FAR my favorite lesson to use towards the beginning of the school year with kindergarten. It combines so many skills and is wonderful to help you evaluate where your kids are as far as their technical skills and ability to follow directions.
This lesson includes thoroughly written teacher procedures and a simplified step-by-step handout.
I use this lesson to:
• Introduce painting with watercolors in my classroom (we start with only one color so they can master procedures).
• Evaluate my students ability to use scissors and glue and teach proper techniques if needed.
• Fuse literacy into my lessons and introduce students to the idea of illustrators as artists.
• Teach collage as an art technique.
• Determine student's ability to sequence steps by utilizing visual clues.
• Review students' knowledge of patterns and have them apply that content in their artwork.
• Teach classroom procedures for setting up and cleaning up art materials (specifically using the drying rack, putting away dry work, painting supplies, getting out scissors, glue, etc.).
• Evaluating students' understanding of directional words/relative positions (inside, outside, next to, in front of, behind, top, bottom, center, etc.). **Common Core Standard K.G.A.1
• 9”x9” 80lb White Paper
• Glue (liquid or stick)
• Blue Watercolor Paint and brush
• Sharpie Marker
• Construction Paper (brown, blue, yellow, red, white)
• Square Stencil (7”x7”)
• “Birds” by Kevin Henkes
• "Pattern Fish" by Trudy Harris
• "The Little White Owl" by Tracey Corderoy
If you are interested in more art education products, consider investing in my
'Art with Mrs. Nguyen's Growing Elementary Art Bundle'!
If you are interested in buying my lessons in bulk, consider investing in my
'Growing Elementary Art Lesson Plan Bundle'!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or leave some feedback! :)
Check out my Blog, Pinterest, and Facebook page for great ideas and giveaways!