Included in this lesson:
- Lesson Plan
- Daily Instructions
- Practice Worksheet
- Self explorations (Symbolism) Worksheet
- Link to Prezi Presentation about Mandalas
- Link to Mandala youtube video
• Learn about the culture and history of the mandala.
• Gain an understanding of symbolism in art.
• Become proficient with a drawing compass.
• Demonstrate mathematical concepts and techniques such as using rulers and creating symmetrical designs.
• Evaluate their process by completing a self-evaluation checklist at the end of the project.
The content to be taught is based on a culture unit where the students will learn about radial symmetry to create a Tibetan Mandala. The student will be gaining art history knowledge through exploring the Buddhist artwork and their process. Knowing that students have prior knowledge of symmetry but possibly not radial symmetry the students will be provided with an overview of these concepts. The students will learn about using a new artist’s tool (drawing compass) and will learn techniques on how to use one. Students will also be learning about and exploring symbolism to incorporate in their drawings.