As a 30 year veteran of elementary education, I developed this program and utilized it for more than 15 years with great success. The kit allows the teacher to test spelling levels and also to assign work based on the spelling skill of each pupil. This enables students to work on their own instructional level. The program includes six levels of over 1,000 words that all elementary school students should know by the time they advance to middle school. Over 400 pages of worksheets include word lists, crosswords, word searches, anagrams and other activities.
How to Use:
Each of the six levels has a Placement Test. Beginning with Level One,
use the blank Placement Test Form and matching Placement
Sentences to test the entire class. Students who achieve scores of 80% or above advance to Level Two and so on, until all students reach their instructional level. Each level has ten lessons. As a result, students may place in the middle of a level. Included is a blank Spelling Program Record sheet to record each student’s spelling level and progress.
Pupils should be given a week to complete the work reflecting their
level. An end-of-week test is administered, and if successful, the
student moves to the next level.
Each level contains:
1. Blank Placement Test Form
2. Placement List of Words
3. Placement Sentences – to be read by teacher during placement
4. Word Page – this is a list of the words to be learned
5. Self-Correcting Pretest Form– Students may test each other.
6. Pretest Sentences – used by teachers and students in order to
give pupils context for each spelling word
7. Alphabetical Order Activity
8. Word Search
9. Crossword (In Level One these have been replaced with anagram worksheets.)
10. Multiple-Choice Retest