Elements – A Fifth Grade PowerPoint Introduction is a PowerPoint 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a PowerPoint presentation of the text along with two slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement of the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (element, atom, proton, neutron, electron, atomic number, molecule, metal, nonmetal, metalloids, noble gas, and periodic table).
• Introduction to elements and atoms and where element names come from.
• Common elements of the Earth’s crust, water, and air.
• Common elements in animals and plants.
• Protons, neutrons, and electrons explained.
• Atomic number and atomic weight introduced.
• Properties and explanations of different types of elements (metals, nonmetals, and metalloids). Noble gases also introduced.
• Dmitri Mendeleev and the Periodic Table of the Elements
• How small are atoms?
• How scientists maneuver atoms.
The last slides have white-backgrounds and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
• The first interactive activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary element, atom, proton, neutron, electron, atomic number, molecule, metal, nonmetal, metalloids, noble gas, and periodic table.
• The second interactive activity has students identify the parts of the periodic table (metals, nonmetals, metalloids, and noble gases). Students also identify the data for a single element taken from the periodic table (element name, element symbol, atomic mass, and atomic number).