Review Task Cards: Great for in class bell ringer games centre, and homework review. Students recognize characteristics of compounds, elements, and mixtures with problems on one side and solution on the other of each task card. A creative way to actively engage students in learning.
* Bell ringer game - Mix the cards together and you have a game that actively engages students in the learning process. Students paired in groups of 2 - 3 take turns reading phrases and identifying the literary device. Cards are kept for correct answers and placed at the bottom of the stack for incorrect. At the end of the designated time, 2 - 3 minutes recommended, the student with the most cards wins.
* Can also be used to modify classwork for Special Education Students
Gallery Walk Activity: Collaborate in small groups to solve rigorous word problems.
* Post word problems on the wall or on tables around the room. Give each group a worksheet with problems to solve and assign them a problem to begin with. Students move around the room from one problem to the next and work collaboratively to determine the correct answer. Students are required to move in a counter-clock-wise direction, which will prevent a bottle-neck from forming.
* It is important to allow time for students to discuss how they reached their conclusion and to clear up any misconceptions they have before the end of class. Assigning from five to nine problems per group and using a timer should ensure the needed time.
* Modifications: The worksheet allows the teacher to assign different questions to individual groups of students. Struggling learners can be directed to solve problems involving more basic concepts while more advanced students can be directed to tackle more complex questions or a larger number of questions.
Texas TEK 6.5C
Each set of task cars and gallery walk activities is designed for flexibility to accommodate individual teacher's needs.
note: The task cards are provided to you as two single sided pdfs but are meant to be printed two sided.
Purchase entitles the individual teacher or household to reproduce copies for a single classroom or household. Reproduction for use by multiple teachers, multiple households, an entire school, or a school district is strictly prohibited.