Are you looking for a lesson on the elements of fiction? This is what I call the "legs" for the table of knowledge needed to analyze fiction. Students cannot apply the elements of fiction to literature until they have a firm foundation of the terminology. This straightforward assignment covers the following definitions:
* The types of fiction: novel, novella and short story
* The elements used to discuss fiction -
- conflict (internal and external)
- characters and characterization
- theme (stated and implied)
- irony (situational, dramatic and verbal)
The document includes a blank form for the students to put in their binders as you give the lecture. It also has the lecture notes for you to use as you go over the material. This provides a great source of reference for when your students begin to analyze fiction!