In this handout, the following key terms will be addressed:
- Plot (including plot diagrams for students to use to analyze a text)
- Characterization (complementary FREE handout on teaching characterization here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Characterization-Notes-and-Graphic-Organizer-2216475)
- Conflict (including internal and external conflict)
- Point of View
- Theme (including a comparison to the main idea and the topic)
- Tone and Mood
- Literary Devices including symbolism, foreshadowing, irony, metaphor, simile and personification (complementary FREE simple game on symbolism found here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Introducing-Symbolism-Game-2424036)
Other handouts you may find complementary to this resource may include:
- Character Analysis Essay ($1.00 here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Character-Analysis-Essay-2703403)
- Short Story Film Project ($1.00 here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Short-Story-Film-Project-2667640)
- BURN-E Viewing Worksheet (Short Film Video Response) (FREE here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-BURN-E-Viewing-Worksheet-PIXAR-Short-Film-Video-Response-2420535)
- Elements of Fiction Review Game (FREE here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Elements-of-Fiction-Review-Game-I-Have-Who-Has-2420526)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This means this resource is designated for 1 teacher's use in his/her school. You may not adapt this work for resale, or use this for commercial purposes.
Please do feel free to adapt this resource for your own use, however, and make as many copies for your classroom as you like! I hope you will find this resource helpful!