Also included in
- This high school poetry unit includes 190 pages of materials for reading poetry! Explore the elements of poetry, analyzing music lyrics, poetic devices, annotating poetry, and more. Suitable for distance learning and Google Classroom®.⚡️⚡️⚡️ Save 30% with the bundled discount! ⚡️⚡️⚡️Included in this bun$17.50$22.60Save $5.10
- This modern high school poetry unit will hook even your most reluctant learners! Includes elements of poetry slideshow lessons, vocabulary activities, poetry writing workshops, assignments, rubrics, and more. Suitable for distance learning and Google Classroom®!⚡️⚡️⚡️ Save over 35% with the Bundled D$25.00$36.40Save $11.40
This introduction to poetry lesson is perfect for exploring the elements of poetry - teach the basic structure of poetry with the elements of poetry anchor chart and interactive slideshow provided with this resource. Includes digital worksheets for Google Classroom®!
Included with this Introduction to Poetry Lesson:
✏️ Introduction to Poetry Slideshow Lesson - Microsoft PowerPoint® and Google Slides®
✏️ Guided Note for Slideshow Lesson - Digital & Print
✏️ Elements of Poetry Anchor Chart Activity - Digital & Print
✏️ Answer Key for Consolidating this Activity- Ready-to-Print
✏️ Teacher Instructions for using this resource
How to use this Introduction to Poetry Lesson:
This lesson explores common poetic forms and solidifies students' understanding of the elements of poetry.
↠ Begin this lesson with the interactive Introduction to Poetry Slideshow. Students will be prompted to call forward their background knowledge of poetry from previous learning. They will also compare poetry to expository forms of writing to differentiate between the elements of poetry and other writing styles.
↠ This slideshow will also introduce key terminology, including meter, verse, and stanza.
↠A guided note has been provided to support student engagement and retention of the content within this lesson.
↠ Students will then complete the elements of poetry vocabulary activity, which will introduce 16 different poetic elements and forms. They will be prompted to find a formal definition for each poetic form and to paraphrase this definition to solidify their understanding. They will also be prompted to find an example to demonstrate each form.
↠ The elements of poetry in this lesson include:
- Blank Verse
- Rhymed Verse
- Free Verse
- Narrative Poem
- Pastoral Poem
↠ You can facilitate this activity independently or collaboratively. To assign it independently, you can provide each student with their own elements of poetry vocabulary workbook.
↠ As a collaborative activity, you can divide students into groups and have each group explore a single term. Then, have each group present their term to the class before adding their word to the bulletin board.
↠ Once you have completed this activity, you will have a useful element of poetry anchor chart for your classroom!
↠ As always, a comprehensive answer key has also been provided to consolidate this activity.
⭒ For classrooms utilizing Google Classroom® ⭒
To access the digital versions of these resources, simply follow the instructions within the resource to copy the files directly to your Google Drive®.
This resource is included in Mondays Made Easy's Introduction to Poetry Unit.
⭐ Customer Tip! ⭐
Want FREE CREDIT to go towards purchases? Make sure to offer feedback for your downloads! Follow these instructions below:
- Go to your "My Purchases" page to find a "Provide Feedback" button next to each download.
- Follow this link to offer a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases!
- Your feedback is important to me as it helps me to continually improve my products and ensure they are meeting your needs!
Follow me! Be the first to know about product launches, sales, discounts, and free giveaways:
➾ The Blog
For questions, collaborations, or other concerns:
✉ Contact me: email@example.com
Access my Free Resource Library!
Mondays Made Easy is committed to the continual improvement of resources to meet the current needs of teachers. This product was last updated on March 19, 2022.