Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
Included in this zip folder are 15 PDF files. 3 are for Instruction and 12 are Assignments. A brief description of each:
PDF Instruction file #1 is a 35 page introduction to the ellipse. The focus is the length of the major axis and the equation of an ellipse. Students should understand half the major axis is same as the distance from focus to minor axis endpoint.
PDF Instruction file #2 is like #1 but saved on small slides, 6 per page.
PDF Instruction file #3 is a 21 page file. The emphasis is converting equations from general conic form to standard form.
PDF Assignment file #1 is a 37 question assignment over the definition and parts of an ellipse. The student should recognize a focus, major axis, major axis endpoints, minor axis, minor axis endpoints, center and the direction of an ellipse. It is on 1 page for easy printing.
PDF Assignment file #2 is a 21 question multiple choice assignment. The student should gain understanding in differentiating between horizontal and vertical ellipses from an equation. The student should realize how to use the center in the equation. Also, the major axis length and minor axis length should be recognized from an equation. It is on 1 page for easy printing.
PDF Assignment file #3 is an 18 question multiple choice assignment over horizontal ellipses only. It is reinforced that the larger number is under the “x” fraction in standard from. The student should realize the triangle relationship in the ellipse and how to use the Pythagorean Theorem as an aid in writing equations of ellipses. It is on 1 page for easy printing.
PDF Assignment file #4 is an 18 question multiple choice assignment much like assignment #3 but the ellipses are vertical. It is on 1 page for easy printing.
PDF Assignment file #5 is a written assignment. The student is given 2 major axis endpoints and a minor axis endpoint. The following questions are asked:
1. Is the ellipse horizontal or vertical?
2. What is the x coordinate of the center?
3. What is the y coordinate of the center?
4. What is the hypotenuse in the triangle relationship?
5. What is the short leg in the triangle relationship?
6. What is the long leg in the triangle relationship?
7. What is “a” from the equation in standard form?
8. What is “b” from the equation in standard form?
9. What is the length of the major axis?
10. What is the length of the minor axis?
11. What is the distance from center to focus?
12. Choose between the vertical and horizontal standard form equation.
The learner then must identify the coordinates of the foci and write an equation of the ellipse. It is on 1 page for easy printing.
PDF Assignment 5A is like 5
PDF Assignment file #6 is much like #5. The student is given 2 foci and a minor axis length.
PDF Assignment 6A is like 6.
PDF Assignment file #7 is like #5 and #6. The student is given 2 major axis endpoints and a focus.
PDF Assignment 7A is like 7.
PDF Assignment file #8 is a 3 page 6 question assignment. The student is given 6 equations of an ellipse in standard form and must produce:
1. Coordinates of the center
2. Coordinates of the major axis endpoints
3. Coordinates of the minor axis endpoints
4. Coordinates of the foci
5. Length of the major axis
6. Length of the minor axis
7. A sketch of the graph of the ellipse
PDF Assignment file #9 is 3 pages of equations to convert from general conic form to standard form. There are 4 equations per page.