Coming to America-Ellis Island is a 360° escape room filled with facts for students to learn about immigration at Ellis Island in a fun, engaging, and interactive way. Students must solve 6 clues to unlock the codes that will help them learn about the immigration process. Can they crack the code?
How does it work?
By clicking on the play button in the center of the room the digital escape room opens. The scenario will open up when it is clicked and tells the students how to go about solving the clues. They then look for the first lock and the first clue. There are six clues and locks in all.
- a sorting activity to sort characteristics of 1st class and steerage on the ships
- a puzzle of the Statue of Liberty
- a video clip of the history of Ellis Island
- a google form where students use codes that are used to answer questions
- a matching game with a scrambled sentence
- a picture to show how we celebrated
This escape room should take your students approximately 45 minutes to complete, depending on student ability levels. A time limit may be given, but this can cause stress so determine what is best for your class. Some of the benefits of kids using these in teams are:
- Develops teamwork and collaboration
- Builds critical thinking skills
- Promotes problem-solving skills
- Promotes communication
- Paperless and No Prep
- Reinforces concepts
- Perfect review for a test
- Engaging and fun!
Included in this download
- Teacher Guide of directions on how to use the resource with tips for how to introduce a digital escape room
- Link to Coming to America-Ellis Island escape room
- Answer Keys for all of the activities and lock codes
- QR Code (for accessing the site with mobile devices using a QR code reader app)
Digital Escape Room Tip for Teachers:
Check your school's website filter before beginning the escape room. You will need access to:
- Google Forms
Before purchasing, please check to make sure you will be able to use these sites. Please play the escape room and check to be sure your student devices will work with the websites listed above.
- Access to Computers, Laptops, Chromebooks or mobile devices
- Access to Google Forms™ (Students will need free Google accounts)
Be sure to check out the preview to see what's included.
See what others are saying about this escape room.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Jennifer H. said:
This is an AMAZING resource. I used this during distance learning, and it was very easy to assign it to the kids via Google Classroom. I can't wait to use it again next year with my kids. I know that they are going to LOVE it!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Julia B. said:
My students loved this activity! The codes were just difficult enough to keep them engaged, but not so difficult that they couldn't figure them out in a timely manner. This was the perfect activity to wrap up our unit on immigration and Ellis Island!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Sami P. said:
My students are currently in the midst of using this. I had my first group escape in 45 minutes. My other groups are on about level 4. They are all LOVING it. I was a little nervous to use it with 3rd grad but I am SO glad I purchased this. Thank you.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Karen Grierson said:
Your escape rooms are outstanding and so easy to use. My students definitely need support while they work through them but that does not take away from their experience and how much they learn! It is rare to find a history-themed escape room. Thank you for creating such a memorable activity!
- St. Patrick's Day-Grammar Review
- Immigration at Ellis Island
- Holidays Around the World
- Back to School
- Black History-Civil Rights Leaders
- Earth Day
- The Oregon Trail
- Field Day-Grammar Review
- Edward Tulane
- Honey Bees FREE
- Stan the Snowman-Winter Fun Puzzles
One-lock informational Mini-Escapes:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Rosa Parks
- Frederick Douglass
- Harriet Tubman
- Chinese New Year
- Groundhog Day
- Ruby Bridges
- Point of View with Fairy Tales
- History of Earth Day
- Importance of Trees and Plants - Earth Day
- The Life Cycle of a Chicken
- The Life Cycle of a Butterfly
- Cinco de Mayo
- Math Battle 3rd Grade - 4th Grade - 5th Grade
- Find the Imposter 2nd Grade - 3rd Grade - 4th Grade - 5th Grade
Thanks for stopping by!
Follow me on Instagram! I'd love for you to share pics of your kids in action!