**Updated 2017** This fun unit contains engaging literacy activities to use when you're reading aloud the popular picture book Elmer by David McKee. The activities are linked to common core standards and are appropriate for Kindergarten and some Pre-K students.
The story celebrates the importance of being unique and special!
- Questions on the story to promote discussion
- Elmer Color Bingo Game: Players must match color cards to the corresponding elephants from the story- but watch out for those rain cloud cards! Now includes cards with color words on.
- Elmer Mini Book: Read the color words and color the elephants to match
- Elmer and Elephant Masks
- Elephant Facts: An original non-fiction text, now with a comprehension task
- Elephants Anchor Charts- new designs!
- Elmer Uppercase Letters
- Elmer Lowercase Letters
- Elmer Letter Match ups - Cut, match and paste all lower and uppercase letters
- A Display Banner: Brighten up your bulletin board
- Writing craft activities: My Favorite Color and I'm Special because...
- Three pages of guidance materials
Check out our other fun units inspired by children's books:
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Read Aloud Activities
The Day The Crayons Quit Math Activities
Owl Babies Read Aloud Activities
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License