Also included in
- Recent global culture and climate has resulted in an increased demand for virtual communication skills. This email etiquette unit is full of engaging, relevant, and rigorous writing opportunities that provide students with skills they will need to succeed in the 21st century.With this writing unit,$7.00$11.00Save $4.00
Have you ever received an email from a student that was written in, well, a not-so-nice tone? Sure. We all have, and it's enough to drive us up the wall! But! What if students have just never been taught (or not taught well) how to professionally address a boss or superior? That realization inspired this unit, which revolutionized the way my freshmen students emailed me from that point forward.
Every year, I recommend teachers of all subjects in middle and high school teach students either a full unit or a refresher course (depending on age and background experience) on email etiquette.
You might be surprised to learn that 91% of people check their email daily. It's a real-life skill. Email is the #1 app used on a smart phone. In short, email matters. We need to teach students how to represent themselves well when communicating in this genre.
In this mini-unit (which lasts approximately 3-5 days, depending on how long discussions go), students will laugh and learn as they read engaging examples of poorly written emails (and a few intelligent ones as well). You can use the materials as a full unit, or you can pick and choose the ones that will work best for your students.
The focus for this email etiquette unit is on emailing teachers, but students will be able to apply what they learn to any professional email situation.
Included in this product, you will find...
- A 27 slide secure PDF presentation to introduce email etiquette and guidelines
- An editable PPT version of the same presentation
- Student notes to correspond with the presentation
- An email components template reference page
- 12 task cards featuring etiquette errors with an answer sheet and an answer key
- 5 additional engaging practice activities that can be used with small group, partner, writer's workshop, station, whole class, individual, or homework format with suggested answer keys
- A suggested use guide and video links to enrich your discussions and lessons
All of the files in this mini unit are included both as secure PDFs and editable PPT files. If you'd like to have Google Drive links to use with distance learning or in 1:1 classrooms, you will be interested in this or in .
The beauty of this lesson is that it's cross-curricular. Teach students to think critically, to write for an authentic audience, to evaluate mentor texts based upon established criteria, to adopt a professional tone, and to write business-type emails with style.
Great for a beginning-of-the-year activity or any time it fits with your curriculum. Grading? Since most of the lessons are intended to be worked on and discussed in class, completion grades would be appropriate, but you don't have to assign grades at all. The unit is intended to be a light-hearted, confidence-building, non-intimidating way to remind students of proper, respectful email etiquette.
The duration of this unit depends on how many activities you choose to incorporate as well as on the length of your class period. A suggested lesson plan with additional, engaging links is provided, but you can deviate to make it fit your needs.
Questions? I'd be happy to help. Just drop me a note through Q & A.
Looking for other unique writing activities for your class? Find these in my store.
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.