This is a full lesson plan to be used as a classroom supplement or a stand alone substitute lesson plan.
This lesson uses the short story by L. Frank Baum, "The Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger" This story is entertaining for kids of all ages, but the content is aligned to middle school standards.
This lesson includes the following:
- A detailed lesson plan for a 50 minute classroom with optional Extensions to use in a 90 minute block.
- A 10 minute teacher led mini lesson modeled after Writer’s Workshop
- An extension page to work on reading strategies
- A link to an audio version of the text
- The full copyright free text to distribute to students via classroom sets or digital PDF
- Scaffolded Reading Comprehension questions aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
- A writing assessment connected to the story and aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
- An exit ticket assessing the standard covered in the mini lesson
I hope you find this to be a useful resource for your middle school ELA classroom!
English Middle School Mania