The day started off like a normal day. I ate breakfast like a normal human and went to school. At school I started feeling strange. I had this sudden urge to grab my cellphone and check out my messages. "No new messages" I said to myself. But why did I need my phone? I clicked on the message icon again. This time I could hear some faint sounds. I look around and the rest of the class is silent. I pressed the keypad and saw the emojis. I clicked on my favorite emoji and a bright light flashed. Suddenly I am being transported into the phone and I have magically changed into my favorite emoji! What is happening???? All the other emojis are welcoming me to their miniature universe and all I can think of is how do I return home?! I make a run for a door and find myself in an office. Inside the office I find a lock box that says, "Unlock to Return Home". That's it! There is a series of five locks I have to unlock to return home! I better get started before I am stuck like this forever!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing one step equations, expressions and inequalities. This download contains all that is needed to perform an amazing digital breakout in your classroom!
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT!
The TEKS seen in this breakout are:
6.7B, 6.9A, 6.9B, 6.9C, 6.10A and 6.10B
THIS BREAKOUT HAS POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE NUMBERS
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices. (there have been reported issues while using Ipads with draggable pieces so please keep that in mind while buying)
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Have a Google Drive and Login for the Google Drive
4. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.)
NUMBER 3 and 4 ARE VERY IMPORTANT! CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!
To test your school's security settings:
1. Share this "testing site" with your students. If they can see the testing site, then out of domain settings are allowed. Here is the Site: TESTING SITE
2. On the testing site there is a word that is hyperlinked. Students will click on the hyperlinked word and if they are allowed to make a copy of the resource that is embedded, out of domain sharing is allowed.
If both 1 and 2 work, then all of my breakouts will work in your classroom!
Looking for more 6th grade Math Lessons and Activities? Check out these!
Follow Me so you can be notified about my latest resources! (Click the star near the Math Chick icon)
You can also follow me on:
Or email me at email@example.com