Emoji student response cards are designed to assist teachers with classroom management during lessons with whole and small groups. These fun and easy to use cards encourage orderly participation, silent response, think time, and critical thinking! Use them before, during, and after lessons, with small groups, to review content, and to quickly assess your students. Student response cards may be used with any subject and many grade levels.
Preparation for using student response cards:
1. Create a student response card fan for each student. *Fans fit neatly in a binder or folder and may be kept in student desks all year.
2. Review the purpose of student response cards and explain to students that they are to use them only when instructed.
3. Explain the response cards so that students will know how and when to use them.
4. Model using a response card and practice with your students.
Examples using student response cards:
1. When you choose, announce to your students that they will use their student response fans for the lesson or activity. Tell them which response cards they will use and to place the fan quietly on their desks. As an example, a teacher writes the problem 8 x 9 on the board as a review from a previous math lesson. Instead of raising hands to solve the problem, the teacher instructs students to SELECT the answer cards that show the product, then SHIELD their cards. This may be done in students’ laps so that everyone has the opportunity to think about the problem. Finally, the students will SHOW their answers by holding up the correct cards in order (72) so that they are in order and visible to the teacher. Repeat as necessary. This gives the teacher a quick glimpse of students who have grasped a concept and students who need additional help.
2. This resource is also designed to encourage think time and higher order thinking. As an example, a teacher shows an image of a square and a rhombus. Using the COMPARE and CONTRAST cards, students are instructed to think of either a way that a square and a rhombus are similar or a way they are different. After taking a short time to think, students are instructed to SELECT, then SHOW the card of their choice. The teacher then calls on students to respond.
The examples above are just a few ways student response cards can be used in your classroom. A chart is included with this resource that lists all cards and tips for using them in the classroom. Of course as you use them, you’ll think of even more new ideas!
Included with this resource:
1. Assembly instructions with photos – The cards will take time to prepare for all students, however once cut out, laminated, and assembled, you’ll use them year after year!
2. A handy chart with cards, explanations, and ideas for classroom use
3. 28 answer cards: Numbers 0-9, Yes/No, Agree/Disagree, Compare/Contrast, A B C D, Word/Sentence, Comment/Question, Need Help/Will Help, Prove/Disprove. Each category has a different emoji face, making them easy to locate for students. Teachers may also customize fans based on individual classroom needs.
Please note: Long prong brads and cardstock are required. Also, laminating the cards for durability is highly recommended.
By purchasing this product, you own a license for one teacher only for personal use in your classroom. Licenses are non-transferable and cannot be passed from one teacher to another. If the teacher who purchases this license leaves the classroom or changes schools, the license and materials leave with that teacher. No part of this resource is to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire team, grade level, school or district without purchasing the correct number of licenses. Using this file, in whole or in part, to create another product, either free or for purchase, is prohibited.
All material included in this resource belongs to Ford's Board LLC. Included with purchase is a license to use the material, however you do not own the material. You may not upload any portion of this resource to the internet in any format.