Students will consider and analyze the use of emoji compared to the use of hieroglyphics.
1. Students are asked several questions comparing the two as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using emoji.
2. Students will read an article (hyperlinked in the doc) about how the use of emoji and early human writing are similar. They will analyze the article to identify supporting arguments of the author.
3. Students will also analyze a meme comparing hieroglyphics and emoji and determine if they agree or disagree with the caption.
4. Students will create a short paragraph (of their choosing) and first write it as they normally would then recreate their paragraph using only emoji. Students will analyze if their story would be easily deciphered and explain their reasoning.
5. Finally students will combine their written paragraph with their emoji and discuss how emoji have the ability to enhance their writing and how emoji has transformed the 21st century.
It is possible for students to use their phone (google doc app) or the computer using http://getemoji.com/ and copy/paste the emoji into a word doc.
The article referenced in the doc is http://www.businessinsider.com/early-ancient-writing-emoji-communicate-2016-3
No answer key as it will vary based on student responses.