Zones of Regulation
This activity is based off of the Zones of Regulation emotional regulation curriculum. This curriculum focuses on developing insight into emotional regulation and emotional control. This activity is a great stepping stone to practice what zone each emotion is in according to the curriculum. After the child/children are familiar with each of the four “zones,” future lessons focus on the identifying the tools that can be used to return to the “green zone.”
• 24 emotion memory cards (48 total cards)
1. Print pages double sided to ensure one side of the memory card has an emotion (front side), and the other side has a back.
2. Laminate (for reuse).
3. Cut out each card.
Collect as many matches as possible. The winner will be the player with the most cards at the end of the game.
• Place all of the cards face down on the table/floor.
• Each player has one attempt to flip over two of the cards.
• If the cards match, that player keeps those cards and gets another turn to flip over two more cards.
• If the cards don’t match, that player flips the cards back over, and his/her turn is over.
• The next player takes their attempt at flipping two cards over to try and find a match.
• Continue until all of the cards are matched.
• The player with the most cards at the end is the winner.