Emperor penguins are a fun, engaging way to expose students to nonfiction text, as well as teach informative and persuasive writing.
This unit has been used with 3rd and 4th graders with success for a few years now.
*10 vocabulary words to build background
* a graphic organizer to record vocabulary words, definitions, sentences, and pictures
* a vocabulary quiz (with an answer key)
* sentencing strips to use with the read aloud text
* Fact & Opinion passage & questions (2 pages)
* 2 penguin writing activities with pictures of actual student work to use as a guide
This unit could be used as a way to simply learn more and practice writing about emperor penguins or to enhance a unit on Antarctica.
This unit is aligned with 3rd and 4th grade Common Core reading, writing, and speaking & listening objectives.