Finish your school year strong (and stress-free!) with these end of the year reading and writing activities for 4th and 5th graders!
Digital Activities Now Included--- Updated 5/3/20 to include TWELVE digital end of year literacy activities! Check out the video preview for details and see page 4 of the PDF for the links to access the digital end of the year activities.
This end of year resource is a collection of 25 low-prep to no-prep end of the year activities and printables that are perfect for your end of the year literacy activities. Let the students show you what they know and apply the skills they have learned throughout the year with the activities in this resource.
This end of the year literacy resource has enough activities to last you the entire last month of school (dependent of course on how long your literacy instructional block is and how fast your students work).
-Variety of reading, writing, and language activities making this a one-stop end of year literacy resource
-Some of the end of the year literacy activities require the students to read a text or texts and complete an activity with the text(s).
-Some of the activities have the students applying a reading skill (theme, point of view, figurative language) to a unique writing piece.
- Some of the activities will take only one class period and some may extend over a few class periods.
These end of the year activities can be used for:
•Whole group or small group
•Literacy or reading centers
Here are the end of year literacy activities included in this resource:
- End of Year Awards - Reading Activity
- Unique Summer Sports - Reading Activity
- Make a Game: Fiction and Nonfiction Texts - Reading Activity
- End of Year Perspectives - Reading Activity
- Point of View Endings - Writing Activity
- Announcing the End of Year - Writing Activity
- Spin a Theme - Writing Activity
- School Year Themes - Writing Activity
- Figurative Language Sort 1 - Reading Activity
- Figurative Language Sort 2 - Reading Activity
- Painting a Picture with Figurative Language - Writing Activity
- Ice Cream Text Structures - Reading Activity
- Summer Camp Text Structures - Reading Activity
- Spin a Text Structure - Writing Activity
- Choose the Text Structure - Writing Activity
- Year-Round Schooling - Reading and Writing Activity
- What’s the Evidence? - Writing Activity
- Spin a Story - Writing Activity
- What’s the Challenge? - Writing Activity
- The Beginning Vs. The End - Writing Activity
- To the Future 4th/5th Graders (Three Versions) - Writing Activity
- What’s the Connection? - Writing Activity
- Visually Speaking - Writing Activity
- Remembering the First Day (Two Versions) - Writing and Language Activity
- School Days - Language Activity
- Favorite Books - Language Activity
Digital End of Year Activities!
The following activities now also include a digital version to be used with Google Slides™ for digital end of the year activities!
1. End of Year Awards Reading Activity
2. Unique Summer Sports Reading Activity
3. Make a Game: Fiction and Nonfiction Reading Activity
4. End of Year Perspectives Reading Activity
5. Reveal a Theme: Writing Activity
6. Figurative Language Sorts (2)
7. Ice Cream Text Structures Reading Activity
8. Summer Camp Text Structures Reading Activity
9. Reveal a Topic: Text Structure Writing Activity
10. Year-Round Schooling Paired Passage Persuasive Activity
11. Letters to the Future 4th/5th Graders
12. Remember the First Day of School: Parts of Speech Writing Activity
1. Inferring and Text Evidence
3. Point of View & Perspective
4. Paired Point of View of Literature
5. Multiple Accounts
7. Identifying Similes and Metaphors
8. Identifying Hyperbole and Personification
9. Writing Figurative Language
10. Text Structure
11. Main Point/Reasons and Evidence
12. Persuasive Writing
13. Narrative Writing
14. Writing Poems with Challenges
15. Comparing and Contrasting
16. Connecting Science Ideas
17. Using Visual Elements to Portray Tone
18. Parts of Speech
19. Verb Tense Errors
20. Titles and Commas to Offset Yes and No Sentences
21. Various Reading Skills
For more end of the year printables and activities, check out these summer-themed resources.