Presenting the Mother Nature Planet Earth Awards! Use these Planet Earth awards to teach your students about some very remarkable plants and animals. This product includes a 20-Slide PowerPoint of the Mother Nature Awards for Planet Earth, and an activity for students to make their own Plant Earth award.
This is a great Earth Day activity, but these plant and animal slides are also perfect for brain breaks throughout the year. This also makes a great end of the year project for middle and high school students.
These fun slides give awards for the biggest animal, the smallest animal, the fastest growing plant, the most disgusting camouflage, the ugliest animal, the most poisonous animal, and more!
Use the slides as just a fun "brain-break" in the day, and / or use the worksheets to have your students complete their own research for a Planet Earth Award.
Please Note: I also have a listing of Planet Earth Awards for elementary students. It comes with a set of 44 activity worksheets and coloring pages for grades 2-5. View the elementary listing by clicking this link.
How do I use this product?
In my high school biology classes, I love to throw out bits and pieces of science trivia while teaching. The “Mother Nature Awards for the Planet Earth” started on a whim, but has grown into a most enjoyable part of my class. My students love it, and it helps to keep their interest when the subject matter being taught doesn’t! I came up with the idea of the “Mother Nature Awards” as a way to offer a little “surprise” in the middle of an unrelated topic. I most often teach by using PowerPoint, and I began to insert a Mother Nature Award slide in the middle of my PowerPoints. It gives the students a much needed “brain break” and allows them to have a few minutes to relax in the middle of a difficult topic. We make a few comments about the pictures and the fun facts, and then we get back to work.
What is a Mother Nature Award?
I selected plants and animals that are weird, unique, amazing or have some characteristic that will make my students say “COOL!” This product contains PowerPoint slides of 20 pretty cool plants and animals.
Once a slide has been viewed in my class, I print it, laminate it and place it on display in my classroom. My students look at them all the time!
How might you use the Mother Nature Awards?
High school and middle school science classes:
• Use the included 20 awards to make a great bulletin board or wall display. Each prints on 8.5 x 11 size paper.
• Great way to fill a few minutes at the end of a class period!
• Student worksheets are included so that students can carry out research on a unique living organism of their own choice.
• Students can work in groups for a great icebreaker activity at the beginning of the year.
• Have students design an award for an Earth Day activity.
• Perfect for an end of school activity. Students can make a poster or a PowerPoint slide to present to the class.
• Have your students make their own award slide for a grade or for extra credit. I have included a 2-page worksheet that can be used by your students if you decide to have them research and design their own Planet Earth Award. Two versions of this worksheet have been included in your download. Use version 1 of the worksheet if you want your students to conduct research and then design a PowerPoint presentation. Use version 2 of the worksheet if you only want your students to conduct research on a plant or animal.
Related Products Include:
Introduction to Science: 34 Warm ups, bell ringers, or inserts for science interactive notebooks
Insect Dichotomous Key Activity
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page