Similar to an escape room, this lock box challenge offers a great way to review concepts from the 8th grade year in an interactive way. Students work with small groups to solve math puzzles moving around the room and unlocking various locks. This document offers detailed instructions on setting up 5 different boxes for one class. All of the puzzles are provided in the document and minimal adjustments might be needed for easy personalization.
Skills needed for students to successfully complete the challenge:
- solving systems of linear equations
- parallel lines cut by a transversal
- graphing ordered pairs
- solving multi-step equations with distributive property
- identifying real, rational, irrational numbers
- knowledge of prime numbers