PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Looking for the perfect end of the year writing unit? Then, keep students engaged and interested in learning with this fun (and rigorous) persuasive writing unit. Based on roller coasters (every kid's favorite summer destination) this unit taps into students’ creativity and teaches them important writing skills.
In just 10 days students will develop background knowledge on roller coasters after reading informational texts, study and analyze advertisements, develop an understanding of critical components of persuasive writing, write their own persuasive advertisements for a roller coaster they designed, present their advertisements to the class, actively listen to their peers’ writing, and reflect on their own year in your class. Since students write persuasive ads (filled with figurative language, propaganda techniques, and critical persuasive components) about a roller coaster they created, their engagement level is extremely high in this writing unit. Guided lessons and activities help students to take their first drafts and transform them into well-crafted persuasive advertisements. When it comes time to present their advertisements to the class, they’ll all be begging to go first. You won’t believe how quickly students master persuasive writing and how strong their final writing pieces become in this Persuasive Writing Unit! This is by far the most fun way to end a school year.
Common Core State Standards addressed in this unit:
This detailed Persuasive Writing Unit includes:
• Detailed Unit/Lesson Plans (10)
• Advertisement Rubric
• Active Listening Guide for Students
The Student Persuasive Writing Packet Includes:
• Roller Coaster Survey
• 4 Nonfiction Roller Coaster Background Passages
• Reading Comprehension Questions
• Hands-on Roller Coaster Vocabulary Activity
• Guided Notes on Persuasive Writing and Critical Components of Advertisements
• 3 Model Advertisements and Critical Components Graphic Organizer
• Pre-Writing Activities: Because Statements, Propaganda Techniques, Figurative Language
• Step-by-Step Advertisement Prewrite
• Draft Writing Notes and Expectations
• Revision Activities: Critical Components, Style and Coherence
• Active Editing Checklist
• End-of-Year Reflection Questions
• End-of-Year Reflection Roller Coaster
Keys: (13 keys total)
• All keys for instruction
• Keys for teacher samples and modeling
You may also like...
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction