These excellent, print-and-go, and easy-to-use, end of year activities and unit for middle school students are the perfect way to keep those last few weeks of school highly engaging, fun, AND academic. Great for grades 6-11 (you can adjust depending on the rigor you need for your students).
Hemingway's short story, "The End of Something," is a great story to use as a final unit at the end of the school year. In this unit and through these activities, students are encouraged to reflect on the feelings they experience when something comes to an end and use these observations to analyze the characters in the story, as well as write their own short story / personal narrative (which can be part of a class anthology if desired). In addition to multiple activities and the personal narrative portion of the unit, we have also included a thought-provoking final essay question AND graphic organizers to help bring the unit full circle for you.
We have included multiple resources for you to not only teach this unit, but engage students, AND have them complete a personal narrative!
- Teacher Annotated Version of Short Story
- Blank Student Copy of Short Story
- Instructions for Use for EACH Activity
- Characterization Activity
- Reflecting on The End of Things Activity (using textual evidence & justification to support claims)
- Narrative Writing Activity
- Narrative Writing Brainstorm Graphic Organizer
- Narrative Writing Outline Graphic Organizer
- Comparing & Understanding SIX Types of Leads in Narrative Writing: Provides students with the six most common kinds of leads in narrative writing as well as examples of each.
- Writing Your Own Leads Activity
- Narrative Writing Rubric
- Final Essay Question
- Essay Graphic Organizers (Intro, Body Paragraphs, & Conclusion)
- Essay Rubric
Please reach out to us with any questions at all at firstname.lastname@example.org
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE:
SUMMER READING ACTIVITIES FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL
BEST SELLING READING RESPONSE QUILT
INFORMATIONAL TEXT READING RESPONSE QUILT
EMERGENCY SUB LESSON PLANS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for sales and all things Middle School ELA!