PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Are you ready for some fun?! I love finding the wonder of science concepts in everyday activities that are exciting for students to explore. My “Science of” series does just that. In this edition, students explore the science of water slides. This activity could last a few days or could be expanded on as the core phenomena of an entire unit. Imagine “sliding into summer” with a content-rich activity like this… or perhaps this could be a exciting way for students to “dive into a new school year!” Imagine the adorable bulletin board opportunities!!!
I've provided you with teacher instructions and ideas for how to build these lessons into a multi-week project, focusing on science literacy, argumentative writing, and the engineering design process. I've written the plans in a "5E" NGSS-aligned lesson design (engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate) which keeps student engagement and accountability to a maximum.
Included in this unit are:
- Detailed teacher instructions and material suggestions
- KWL Chart/Graphic Organizer
- "Science of Water Slides" Close Reading Passage in two formats (easy to annotate!)
- Reading Engagement Activities
- Compare and Contrast Water Slides to Playground Slides
- Speedy Slides Writing Task - an argumentative piece on whether water park owners
would benefit from opening in the fall and winter with the absence of water from their
- Speedy Slides Final Draft Printable Paper
- Design A Water Slide Project Instructions and Planning Sheets (with or without
required design elements)
- Design a Water Slide Advertisement Activity Instructions
- Design a Water Slide Reflection Sheet
Potential and Kinetic Energy
Cross Cutting Concepts (CCCs):
Energy & Matter, Structure & Function, Systems & Systems Models
Science & Engineering Practices (SEPs):
Asking Questions & Designing Solutions, Making Models, Planning & Carrying Out Investigations, Obtaining, Evaluating, & Communicating Information
I truly believe that the key to lasting learning is compelling content... and this project is almost as exciting as the thrill of riding an actual water slide, potentially even more!!!
More from my "Science of" series:
Support this project with the following resources:
Wishing you a classfull of curious minds, always!
All rights reserved. Purchase of this item entitles the purchaser the right to reproduce the pages for individual classroom use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden without written permission from the author or additional license purchase.
Copyright © 2018 SCIENCEcerely, Me by Erin Hansen