Looking for a fun and engaging way to practice musical concepts in your music room during the end of the year/ before summer? This escape room set includes materials for an escape room to practice rhythm, melody, and more! Students will work in small groups to solve puzzles, earn letters, and unscramble the letters to form a musical word, then escape the room!
This set includes:
- Signs to post at each task
- Link to video, which will set up the storyline about escaping the room and then the school for summer break (check out the preview video for a sample.) You can either view on YouTube or download the video.
- Task 1, Rhythm Code: Students code summer words to rhythms using a key, then open an envelope to get a clue to figure out their letter. Four versions are included: one for rest, one for tika-tika, one for ti-tika, and one for tika-ti.
- Task 2, Instrument Quiz: Students either complete a quiz about instruments with pencil and paper or through Google Forms on a Chromebook, computer, or iPad. If completing the paper, students check their answers with the teacher, then get the letter, and if completing the Google Form Quiz, students receive their letter when checking their answers. Three versions are included: non-pitched percussion, instrument families, and instruments/ instrument families.
- Task 3, Solfa and Note Name Match Up: Students match the solfa patterns to the staff patterns, or the letter words to the notes on the treble clef staff. Many versions are included: sol-mi, la, do, re, low la, low sol, high do, fa, ti, lines on the treble clef staff, spaces on the treble clef staff, and lines and spaces on the treble clef staff.
- Task 4, Puzzle: Students either put together a puzzle with cardstock pieces or through a website on a Chromebook, computer, or iPad. If completing the cardstock puzzle, students open an envelope for their clue, and if completing on a device, students go to another link to receive their letter.
- Task 5, Rhythm dice: Students roll the rhythm die (template is included to print out onto cardstock, fold, and tape) then write the rhythms they roll, read their rhythms, then get an envelope with their letter. Four versions are included: half note, tika-tika, ti-tika, and tika-ti.
- Directions for the set, including how to set up the lesson, possible additional purchases, things to keep in mind, and more!
- Editable files: A PowerPoint is included so you can add tasks if you'd like, change the letters, or edit the code for transferring letters to numbers (if using a number lock)
This set can be used and re-used with several grade levels, as I've included many different rhythmic concepts/ skill levels with the materials.
Please note: You can use this set without any additional purchases. I've included suggestions if using a number or letter lock with a lock box, but I've also included information about how to use the set without any locks or lock boxes.
Download the preview, and view the video preview, for more information!
Looking for more escape room sets that you can use any time of the year? Check out my escape room rhythm bundle!
Thanks to Music Teacher Coffee Talk for the inspiration for this set. Check out their podcast here.
Thanks for looking! Visit my blog at www.mrsmiraclesmusicroom.com.