This end of the year Summer Reading craft will motivate your students to continue to read over summer break. Help them set reading goals to avoid the "summer slide".
TWO options Included:
- 8 summer reading goal cards to help countdown the number of DAYS read
- 8 summer reading goal cards to record the number of BOOKS read
- paper chain template to help students record the title of books read for each paper chain link.
- 2 black-line masters for students to color on their own (both options).
- Each card includes directions on how to complete the summer reading challenge either by the days read or the number of books read.
- Bulletin board letters "SUMMER READERS" are included to display the Reading Goal Chains prior to summer break or when students return to school in the fall.
Suggested Use In the Classroom:
This is a fun craftivity to motivate your students to read over summer break. Begin by having a discussion with your students about the “summer slide” phenomenon.
Have your students count the days of summer break and set a realistic reading goal for the amount of days/books they plan on reading Have them record their personal summer reading goal on the goal sheet provided.
Students attach one paper chain link for each day they PLAN TO READ to the goal card before they leave for summer break. For every day that the children read this summer, have them rip off one link. Ask them to return the signed goal card in exchange for a reward at the start of the next school year.
Students add one paper chain link for each book read and record the book title on the template provided. They will assemble their paper chain AS THEY READ this summer. Ask them to return the signed goal card and the assembled paper chain in exchange for a reward at the start of the next school year.
Students add one blank/simple paper chain link for each book read and they will assemble their paper chain AS THEY READ this summer. Ask them to return the signed goal card and the assembled paper chain in exchange for a reward at the start of the next school year.
When Students Return to School:
Reward your students with a treat or a trip to your prize box if they return the goal card or the completed paper chain to you on the first day of school the following year! It will be a beautiful hallway display at the start of the year!
This is a great reminder for parents as well. This is a great visual to remind both parents and students of the value of summer reading.
As the new school year approaches, they will be reminded of their reading goal (and avoid the summer slide).
Happy Summer Reading!
From my home away from home…
The K Files