Want a class pet without the hassle of a real live one? Want a classroom activity that engages all writers, awakens creativity, ties together curriculum, AND involves families? This pack is for you!
Have your class room "adopt" an endangered bear (stuffed bears are SO easy to find) and explain to kiddos that since bears cannot sleep at the school overnight, they'll have to take turns giving him/her a place to stay. When the bear visits their home, they are to write an entry in the class journal about the adventures they had. Creativity is much encouraged here! :)
By having this activity as a year-long project, you can tie many areas of language arts back to your class pet: nonfiction study of bears or endangered animals, persuasive letters to the community about ways to help, imaginative narratives about adventures with the bear, research of endangered animals, etc. The kids will also enjoy watching the class journal grow and reading classmates' entries.
This pack includes all you need to set this year-long activity in your classroom!
- cover page for using a spiral
- cover page for using a binder
- letter to students informing them (and their families) about the activity to keep in the spiral/binder
- ideas of what to journal about
- journal page with room for illustration
- journal page without room for illustration
- fully lined journal page to create a double sided page
Thank you so much!
Great to Bee in Fifth