This ending blends resource includes four fun and engaging activities to help your students practice spelling and building words with ending blends mp, lt, lk, ld, lf, and ft. All the activities focus primarily on phonetically spelled CVCC words and work well as word work or center activities for first and second graders.
Word building activities focus on the following words:
mp: camp, lamp, jump, ramp, dump, stamp, stomp
lt: belt, bolt, melt, quilt
lk: talk, milk, silk, elk
ld: mold, cold, gold, fold
lf: elf, golf, shelf, self
ft: raft, lift, sift, gift, left, craft
Here’s how to use these activities in your classroom:
Ending Blends Puzzles
- Students look at the picture and match the word beginning and ending blend to build the word. A recording sheet and 24 puzzles (4 for each blend) are included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card.
Ending Blends Word Building Mats
- Students take a half-page card, look at the picture, and build the word. Sound boxes are provided. Magnet letters work well for this activity, but it can also be done as a write-and-wipe activity using dry erase markers on laminated cards. A recording sheet and 30 cards are included. Several recording sheet options are provided, allowing you to differentiate this activity easily. Again, if you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card. I recommend going over the pictures as a whole group before doing this as an independent center activity.
A Glass of Milk Making Words
- Students match each word-beginning milk glass to different ending blend milk jugs to make as many words as they can. A recording sheet is included. Many word-making options are possible and a possible answers sheet is included for teacher reference.
See, Build, Write Cut and Paste Printables
- Students cut and paste letters from the bottom of the page to build a word matching the picture shown and write the word. Each printable page contains four words to build and write. Three options are included. Just print and go! These are great for a quick assessment.
This product was last updated on July 19, 2016. If you purchased before this date, please download the revised version free of charge.
All my Let’s Build with Blends resources can be purchased together at a discounted price in either my Blends Bundle
or Let's Build Bundle
If you and your students enjoy this product, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at email@example.com.
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles