This ending n blends resource includes four fun and engaging activities to help your students practice spelling and building words with ending n blends nk, nd, and nt. The activities focus mainly on CVCC words and work well as center activities for first and second graders.
Activities for the following words are included:
nk: bank, honk, dunk, skunk, wink, sink, pink, drink, tank, ink
nd: wand, send, wind, hand, sand, pond
nt: bent, cent, plant, mint, tent, ant
Here’s how to use the activities in your classroom:
N Blends Puzzles
- Students look at the picture and match the word beginning and n blend ending to build the word. Two recording sheet options and 12 puzzles (4 for each blend) are included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card.
N Blends Word Building Mats
- Students take a half-page card, look at the picture, and build the word. Sound boxes are provided. Magnet letters work well for this activity, but it can also be done as a write-and-wipe activity using dry erase markers on laminated cards. A recording sheet and 22 cards are included. Again, if you do not wish to use the recording sheet, you can make this activity self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card. You can also differentiate by removing or adding cards for different groups of students. I recommend going over the pictures as a whole group before doing this as an independent center activity.
Ants and Picnic Baskets Making Words
- Students match each stack of word-beginning ants to different n blend picnic baskets to make as many words as they can. A recording sheet is included. Many word-making options are possible and a possible answers sheet is included for teacher reference.
See, Build, Write Cut and Paste Printables
- Students cut and paste letters from the bottom of the page to build a word matching the picture shown and write the word. Each printable page contains four words to build and write. Three options are included. These are great for a hands-on center or a quick assessment. Just print and go!
This set was last updated on July 18, 2016
You may also be interested in my Beginning R Blends
, S Blends
and Beginning L Blends
All my Let’s Build with Blends resources can be purchased together at a discounted price in either my Blends Bundle
or Let's Build Bundle
If you and your students enjoy this product, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles