Use this science game as an end of unit review or a review before state testing.
This game features 5 categories suitable for upper elementary age students.
An explanation for each category follows:
* Renewable Energy – Wind power, solar power, hydroelectric power, biomass energy, and geothermal energy
* Nonrenewable Energy – Fossil fuels – petroleum, coal, pollution, byproducts such as kerosene and gasoline
* Electric Circuits – insulators, definition of a circuit, conductors, switch, electrons
* Forms of Energy – Kinetic, Potential, Solar, Nuclear, Mechanical to Electrical
* Energy Conservation – Turning off lights, Regulating Thermostats, Recycling, Weather- stripping, Insulating homes
*Final Jeopardy Category – Electricity – Parallel Circuit
Features of the Product:
*Scoreboard to keep track of score for 3 players or teams
*Number amounts for questions that have been selected are hidden to show that it is no longer available
*A countdown timer for timing Final Jeopardy
*A scoreboard is placed on the top of the game board. It can be used for two or three
players or teams. The default is “Player #1, Player #2, and Player #3”. You can change the scoreboard to show “Team #1, Team #2, and Team #3, by simply clicking the Player # boxes. When you close the program, it will revert to the default.
*You may change the scores by clicking the number box. The score will increase by 100 for each time you click.
To play the game:
1. Open the file and select Slide Show>Play from Start. If you are playing with teams instead of individuals, click the Player # boxes one time each. The game is ready to play.
2. When a category and question is selected, click the number that corresponds to the question. It will reveal the “Jeopardy Answer.”
3. When you are ready to reveal the “Jeopardy Question,” click enter or the space bar.
4. When you are ready for the next turn, click the yellow arrow.
5. When it is time for “Final Jeopardy”, click the box in the lower right corner. A second click reveals the category. Have students write how much they want to risk on the category on their board. They may only risk the amount that they have. This will be the only time that points will be deducted for incorrect answers, but the scoreboard will not support subtracting points.
6. Click to reveal the “Final Jeopardy Answer.” After time has passed, have all players put down their markers.
7. Have each player reveal his or her “Jeopardy Question.” Show the correct question. Add the amount that each player earns for being correct. Subtract the amount risked if the player is not correct.
8. The winner is the one with the highest score.
Science 5th Grade – 5(A), 6(A), 6(B), 7(A), 7(C)
(5) Matter and energy.
A) Classify matter based on physical properties, including mass, magnetism, physical state (solid, liquid, and gas), relative density (sinking and floating), solubility in water, and the ability to conduct or insulate thermal energy or electric energy;
(6) Force, motion, and energy.
A) Explore the uses of energy, including mechanical, light, thermal, electrical, and sound energy
(B) Demonstrate that the flow of electricity in circuits requires a complete path through which an electric current can pass and can produce light, heat, and sound;
(7) Earth and space.
(A) Explore the processes that led to the formation of sedimentary rocks and fossil fuels
(C) Identify alternative energy resources such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, and biofuels
Suggested Materials for the game:
Computer and a way to display the game (projector), answer buzzers, small dry erase boards, and markers (or paper and markers).
This product was created by Mary Kay Erben and was designed for use in a single
classroom. Copying any part of this product and/or placing it on the Internet is strictly
forbidden and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
If you like this product, please rate it and give me some feedback. Have a suggestion for a product that you’d like to have? I use customer feedback to help me develop products that my customers will want.
Want to be the first to know about my sales and freebies? Then Follow Me! All of my products are 25% off for the first 24-48 hours. Be the first to know about my new products by following my store!
* Click on the green star at the top of my page to become a follower!