Energy Pyramid Model for Ecosystems
Learn about food chains, food webs, and energy transfer through an ecosystem with this engaging hands-on ecology activity.
What students will do:
* Identify the various types of organisms including herbivore, carnivore, and omnivore
* Calculate the amount of energy transferred from organism to organism within an ecosystem of their choosing, and the various trophic levels of the energy pyramid.
* Create a stackable food chain to present in class using the accompanying template.
A teacher example is provided and can aid as a warm-up activity to familiarize students with the project and can also be used as a visual example of the project to help students make their own. This project can also be found in our Food Chains & Food Webs
Buy this lesson on its own or GO BIG and buy it in our 6-7 week long Ecology Bundled Unit: PowerPoint and ALL Handouts
a 4-5 week long unit is composed of 130+ slide PowerPoint and 40+ pages of handouts which includes all FOUR sections and the accompanying study guide:
1. What's in an Ecosystem- intro to Ecology
2. Food Chains & Food Webs
3. Interactions Among Living Things
4. Biomes of the World
5. Study Guide for Ecology Unit
Consider using this with some of our other products in our store:
- Ecology Think Tickets: Task Cards for Science Exploration
- Ecology Scavenger Hunt Activity for INBs
- Ecology Word Wall
- Cootie Catcher / Fortune Teller: Life Science Vocabulary Bundle
which includes several Ecology cootie catchers.
Take a look at Getting Nerdy with Mel and Gerdy‘s:
Getting Nerdy Blog
We aim to please. Before leaving feedback, please contact us via "Ask a Question" and let us know if we can help make our products better for you and your students.
- Purchase of the product is for single classroom use by the purchaser only. It is a violation for individuals, schools, and districts to redistribute, edit, sell, or post this item on the Internet or to other individuals. Disregarding the copyright is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and subject to legal action.
Ecology Project: Energy Pyramid and Food Chain Activity by © Getting Nerdy, LLC