- This no-prep paper AND digital paperless bundle is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, homework, projects, quizzes, and tests you need to teach an entire year of physical science. Every major physical science unit is covered and listed below. Everything is provided for two levels – CP a$425.00$340.00Save $85.00
This no-prep paper AND digital paperless product is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, and tests you need to teach your energy unit in your physical science class. Content covered includes nature of energy, potential and kinetic energy calculations, conservation of energy, energy transformations, thermal energy transfer, thermal energy calculations, work and power. Links to video lectures are included for all notes. All assessments are differentiated for two levels – CP and Honors. Not only that, but the student packets come in a paperless digital version that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™. This is perfect for the teacher who is in a 1:1 classroom, for someone who is hoping to integrate more educational technology to move towards becoming a paperless classroom, or if you are currently teaching via distance learning. Because it is all-inclusive, it is especially useful for new teachers, maternity leave, and flipped classrooms!
Note: This is Unit 3 in my Physical Science Curriculum Full Year Bundle. You can buy this unit for 20% off if you purchase as a part of my full year bundle.
*How is this resource distance learning compatible?*
This resource already comes with all of the student handouts in a packet format that can be used on paper (PDF to print) or digitally in a paperless version for Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™. All of the PowerPoint notes also come with a lecture video to help your students learn from afar. You can see all of my lecture videos on , and feel free to email me at email@example.com for a free sample of a paperless digital packet so you can see what the formatting and usability is like prior to purchasing so you can tell if it is a good fit for you and your students.
** I did not specifically write this unit for distance learning or homeschool settings, but this entire unit can still be used in a modified format, and all will be fully usable when we are one day back in our classrooms! I include a document with tips for using these resources in a virtual teaching and/or homeschool setting to help you. If you have questions about which resources may or may not work from home, shoot me an email and we can discuss!
What content is covered in this unit?
- Nature of energy
- Kinetic and gravitational potential energy calculations
- Conservation of energy and energy conversions
- Thermal energy transfer
- Thermal energy calculations
- Work and power calculations
- Simple machines
What is included?
I strongly encourage you to download the 19-page preview for this product. It will give you the best idea of what all is included – because there is so much in this! In short:
- 12 pages of teacher implementation notes
- Editable unit plans for 50-minute and 90-minute classes
- Two 29 and 30-page PDF student packets (one for CP and one for Honors) that include:
- Unit outline with objectives and vocabulary terms for each concept covered for students to use to make their own study guides from
- Notes outlines for each of the four main concepts in Cornell Note format
- Lab Activity: Exploring the Motion of a Pendulum (guided inquiry)
- Task Card Activity: Energy Conversions
- Lab Investigation: Law of Conservation of Energy
- Activity: Bottle Rocket Demonstration
- Inquiry Investigation: Insulation Materials (fully inquiry)
- Work and Power in the Real World: Simple Machines activity
- 5 pages of practice handouts
- Access to ALL of the materials in the student packets in a digital paperless format that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™
- 4 fully animated PowerPoints of notes – 51 slides – with teaching tips, embedded examples, and editable text
- Links to YouTube video lectures for each of the PowerPoint notes – perfect for absent students or flipped classrooms!
- 2 quizzes and 2 unit tests with multiple choice, open response, answer sheets, and detailed answer keys (CP and Honors)
What is so great about the digital student packets that are included?
- You can go PAPERLESS in your classroom if you want – no more dreaded mornings at the copy machine!
- You still get all of the organization of my packet strategy, just now in digital format too!
- Students will be able to access their packets ANYWHERE. No more, “I forgot my binder so I couldn’t do (fill in the blank)”
- Students can print their filled in packets or an extra blank copy easily from home
- You can now have a mixed classroom with some students paperless and others not. You can also start with just doing a few units digitally and others on paper. Whatever works best for you and your students. The point here is that you now have OPTIONS!
- You have increased flexibility for students to easily learn and be connected outside the walls of your classroom.
- A built in opportunity to help students grow in their digital literacy.
What Next Generation Science Standards are covered?
- : Construct and interpret graphical displays of data to describe the relationships of kinetic energy to the mass of an object and to the speed of an object.
- : Develop a model (diagram, pictures, written description, or representation) to describe that when the arrangement of objects interacting at a distance changes, different amounts of potential energy are stored in the system.
- : Apply scientific principles to design, construct, and test a device that either minimizes or maximizes thermal energy transfer.
- : Plan an investigation to determine the relationships among the energy transferred, the type of matter, the mass, and the change in the average kinetic energy of the particles as measured by the temperature of the sample.
- : Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the kinetic energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from the object.
- : Create a computational model to calculate the change in the energy of one component in a system when the change in the energy of the other component(s) and energy flows in and out of the system are known.
- : Develop and use models to illustrate that energy at the macroscopic scale can be accounted for as a combination of energy associated with the motions of particles (objects) and energy associated with the relative positions of particles (objects.)
Note: If you aren’t sure how your state standards compare to the NGSS, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a PDF or link to your state standards for Physical Science and I will be happy to review them for you prior to you making a purchase!
What types of files are included?
When you download this product you will receive a zip file with 5 folders of files. Most of the documents in this product are secured PDF’s, meaning you can print them but not copy or edit the text. The paperless digital student packets will be accessed via a Google Drive™ link in a PDF file that students can type into but not change the essential content of. Editable versions are only included for the unit plans, quizzes, tests and some aspects of the activities for you to customize for your classroom. The PowerPoint lecture notes also have editable text. This is to protect the copyright and intellectual property of my own work, plus the work of many dedicated clip artists that are included in this product. If you have questions about this, please don’t hesitate to email me with them!
Why use a “packet” instead of an interactive notebook?
I started creating packets for my students four years ago, and I love them so much more than interactive notebooks. While interactive notebooks are great resources, I have found the packet strategy to be a more appropriate tool for using in the secondary classroom setting. I love using the packet for many reasons.
- I only have to make copies one time each unit instead of copying handouts every day. Even though it takes a while to copy the packets for each student, it saves so much time on the day to day. (Also the last few years I’ve recruited seniors to be my “Teacher’s Aide” and have trained them to copy all of my packets for me. I haven’t seen a copier in four years and it’s glorious!) Now you can go DIGITAL and PAPERLESS, never making any copies ever again!
- It puts responsibility back on the students to maintain their physical science binder with their packet, while also aiding them in practicing organization skills. It has been incredibly effective for my lower level students. Even though it is a lot of papers at once, I can watch them put it in their binder and leave it there, rather than having to hang on to 100 individual papers passed out each day.
- It makes it so easy to be absent last minute. If you or your child gets sick, sub plans are a breeze. You don’t have to send your teacher neighbor to make copies for you – because your students have everything they need already. You just have to tell the sub which pages the students need to work on.
- The structure is more suited to what students will be doing in college – and one of our goals as secondary teachers should be to prepare our students for college. The packet helps students learn how to structure notes (I give students Cornell-style note outlines for each concept – more on that later) which I have found helps provide scaffolding for them to be able to write notes all on their own in later high school years.
- Time saver in so many ways – no more time wasted regularly passing out handouts, or having to cut and paste things into A notebook.
- Students do a better job keeping up with returned graded work because every page is numbered so they can put graded assignments right back into the packet where it came from.
- You no longer need a filing cabinet – you can keep all of your curriculum and keys organized in binders for easy transport to and from your classroom!
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
Designing curriculum for an entire unit that is engaging, activity-based, and standard-aligned can be exhausting. I’ve spent over 5 years creating this curriculum and have had amazing results. I had a 96% pass rate on the State standardized End-of-Course exam for Non-Honors students and a 100% pass rate for honors students. This was at a South Carolina Public School with over 50% of the students being below the poverty line. My average score on the EOC (all 200+ students combined that I taught over 2 years) was a 90%. I believe this success is due to multiple factors, but I attribute a lot of it to the packet curriculum I have designed. Honestly, I could go on and on about the packet as a resource and why I love it so much, but I think you will find as you use it that you will fall in love with it too. Last but not least, this product comes with links to video lectures for each set of notes. This resource + all of the detailed lesson plans makes this product perfect for teachers new to this subject, going on maternity leave for a long-term sub, or using a flipped classroom strategy.
Want this for a different unit?
I have made this product for every traditional physical science unit. You can also buy this product for:
- Scientific Method Unit
- Motion and Force Unit
- Electricity and Magnetism Unit
- Waves Unit
- Matter Unit
- Atomic Structure Unit
- Bonding Unit
- Reactions Unit
Or get all of the units at a 20% discount if you buy the full year curriculum!
Looking for complementary resources specifically for this unit?
My daily bell ringers and vocabulary review games are not included in this product, but you can find them for this unit by clicking below! (Plus they include electricity and magnetism, which is the next unit in the curriculum bundle!)
- Energy, Electricity, and Magnetism Daily Bell Ringers or Exit Slips
- Energy, Electricity, and Magnetism Vocabulary Review Game
Looking for more comprehensive resources?
Check out the other full year curricula I have available!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have before you make your purchase!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
- Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
- Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
- Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
- Upload this product to any unsecured website or server that other teachers can access for free.
- Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
- Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.