“How is it that for most people music is a powerful part of their personal life and yet when we go to work or school we turn it off? The intentional use of music in the classroom will set the scene and learning atmosphere to enhance our teaching and learning activities. Plus, using music for learning makes the process much more fun and interesting! Music, one of the joys of life, can be one of the joys of learning as well.”
Chris Brewer, “Music and Learning”
Music can be used so effectively in the teaching of topics and themes. Children love to sing! These ten songs on the theme of “Energy and the Environment” cover so many different kinds of energy. They have been “tried and tested” on my own pupils and they seem to really enjoy them! I hope your pupils do too!
There are some teaching notes and guidelines included in the PDF document which provide some useful advice.
The zip file contains:
* PDF of the music
* 20 mp3 files, with both vocal and piano backing tracks
* Word file containing the lyrics.
* Teachers’ notes to assist with the delivery of the songs
* Two illustrated PowerPoint presentations of all the songs containing all the lyrics on screen. One has both versions of the audio embedded (see illustrations). The other has the staff notation. If you are one of the growing number of teachers who has access to a digital projector you will find this to be a useful resource.
The songs are:
2. “Oil Rigs
3. “Seed Dispersal”
4. “Persley Waste Water Treatment Works”
5. “The Wind”
6. “Clouds (Water Cycle)”
7. “Finite Fuel”
8. “Recycle It!”
10. “All Kinds Of Energy”