What’s included in this pack:
1. A page by page guide to close reading of the Engage NY Module 1 text- Nasreen’s Secret School by Jeanette Winter. This includes before, during, and after reading discussions.
2. A student sheet for writing in response to reading.- focus on character traits and theme.
3. A student sheet for retelling – using B, M, E.
4. Six Tier Two vocabulary words picked carefully from the text.
5. A vocabulary “HeadBanz” game.
6. A completed vocabulary chart which is meant to be written on chart paper and filled in as the story progresses.
7. A blank student copy of the chart.
8. Four different vocabulary graphic organizers – four teachers editions with vocabulary words already filled in with ideas on how to use.
9. The same four organizers.- blank for copying for your students.
10. A vocabulary quiz to give as an ending assessment.
How to Use These Materials – The resources included in this pack can be used in many ways. The close reading questions are meant for discussion before, during, and after a read aloud of the story. The after reading discussions serve as an oral rehearsal for the written responses. The story can then be reread with a focus on vocabulary. Certain sections of the story can be revisited to support after reading activities. The vocabulary words can be words students study for a week or two, using the graphic organizers to develop understanding of word meanings. The quiz can be an assessment or a partner activity.