This is a bundle of books from the Engage NY Module 1 Grade 3
What’s included in this bundle:
1. A page by page guide to close reading of the text Rain School by James Rumford, The Librarian of Basra and Nasreen’s Secret School - both by Jeanette Winter. This includes before, during, and after reading discussions.
2. Three student sheets for writing in response to reading.- focusing on character traits and theme.
3. Three student sheets for retelling – using B, M, E. These sheets focus on how the characters/setting change.
4. Five or six tier two vocabulary words picked carefully from each text.
5. A vocabulary “HeadBanz” game for each text.
6. Three completed vocabulary charts which are meant to be written on chart paper and filled in as each story progresses.
7. A blank student copy of the chart.
8. Four different vocabulary graphic organizers – with teachers editions for each text that have vocabulary words already filled in with ideas on how to use.
9. The same four organizers.- blank for copying for your students.
10. Three vocabulary quizzes to give as an ending assessment after each text.
11. A final writing assignment in which students consider the obstacles to learning that the characters across the three texts face.
How to Use These Materials – The resources included in this bundle can be used in many ways. The close reading questions are meant for discussion before, during, and after a read aloud of the stories. The stories can then be reread with a focus on vocabulary. Certain sections of the stories can be revisited to support after reading activities. The vocabulary words can be words students study for a week or two, using the graphic organizers to develop understanding of word meanings. The quizzes can be an assessment or a partner activity.