Engaging Engineering STEAM Kits -- March Edition (Gold Coin Themed Challenges)
**Simple, Low-Prep Thematic Monthly STEAM Engineering Activities**
March’s theme is all about leprechaun luck and golden coins! Simply grab a few packages of gold coins (or green) from your local dollar, off Amazon or from your local Michael’s store and place about a dozen in each STEAM Kit. (You will also need to place some “extra” coins at or near your STEAM Kit base-station for students to use as needed.) Place the March STEAM Kit task cards in their respective kits, and let the engineering begin!
This product was specifically designed for use with students of various ages. The photo task cards make it user-friendly for even non-readers!
STEAM Kits are THE BEST because after you prep them once, you simply leave the materials in the kits all year and change out the task cards and theme items at the beginning of each new month! That's it! Simple...and super engaging!
You can use them for morning work stations, center work, for “fast finishers,” or basically in any other way you choose!
Here are my suggestions for prepping and setting them up:
1. Decide where you want to house your STEAM Kits. I put them in little drawers in a classroom shelf. You may wish to place them in tubs, boxes, buckets or even plastic school supply boxes.
2. Print off the STEAM Kit labels that work best for you. I have provided two different sized labels. (If you need a size that’s not provided, consider changing the size percentage in the settings before you print. You can make smaller or larger labels that way. I like to print my labels on cardstock and laminate them for durability.) Label your containers accordingly. Please note that you do NOT have to make every STEAM Kit that I have provided. You may choose which ones you wish to use in your classroom. You may wish to only use 9 of them at a time, or you may use them all. Do what works for you, and use the materials to which you have access.
3. After your STEAM Kit containers have been labeled, fill them with the appropriate materials. I tried to choose materials that most teachers already have in their classrooms or can purchase at a dollar/discount store, but I also included blank and editable label and task cards so you can add your own materials/tasks too!
4. Select the monthly theme STEAM unit of your choice and print off the STEAM Kit task cards for the month. Laminate for durability. Place each task card in the corresponding STEAM Kit. Also, place the “theme item” of the month in each kit. For example, March's theme item is gold coins. Place several plastic gold coins in each STEAM Kit.
5. For added student accountability, copy multiple pages of the “Engaging Engineering Reflection Form” of your choice, and place it near the storage area for your STEAM Kits. I have included two different versions. One for young engineers, and another for older engineers. Use the form that fits your students best!
6. Have a blast watching your students engage in these fun learning activities as they turn into little engineers!
You're going to LOVE these STEAM kit units! Prep once...and you're good to go for the year! Just pop in new task cards and theme items at the beginning of each month and you are good to go! It's the best, most engaging way to get your kiddos actively engaged in STEM/STEAM activities AND teach them the Engineering Design Process!
If you LOVE this March Edition of STEAM Kits, consider purchasing my year-long growing bundle! It contains 10 monthly themed editions!
Follow me on Instagram @hollyehle and on Facebook @EngagingTheStandards for new product details!