This group activity has turned out to be the most engaging activity I have ever created! This hands-on activity really gets students involved. I love to listen to the discussions they have trying to determine the category of each poem. This is the culminating group activity at the end of a unit of poetry. I created it for 10th grade English, then later modified it for 8th and 9th grade English. In groups of 3-4, students are given poems they have not seen before, but are the same structure as poetry studied during the unit they just completed. Together they must read and agree on the category in which to place each poem. Then they write a justification for the placement of each poem. This unit includes:
1. PowerPoint to review various types of poetry,
2. 24 poems to use in this activity,
3. A worksheet/score sheet to simplify grading.
4. Instruction for implementation.
5. There is also a list of the poems that are included and the category where each fit.