Middle school students will tackle the challenge of creating their own unique invention with this project. Not only is this a good way for students to express their creativity and use critical thinking, but it also addresses the middle school "Engineering Design" standards that are part of the new Next Generation Science Standards. In this project students will:
1) Learn about important inventions and inventors in history
2) Work through each step of the engineering design process
3) Use graphic organizers and guiding questions
4) Create a blueprint of their own original invention
5) Consider limitations, modifications, and impacts of their invention
6) Share their invention with peers, parents, and school personnel
7) Evaluate and their peers’ inventions and synthesize information from them
This is also a great project to start the year off with, as you can learn what is important to your students and see how each student works as they create their inventions.
In all, this project could last 1 - 2 weeks, depending on the time you allow for students to work. The document you will download contains 15 pages of instructions for the teacher, suggestions on how to conduct the project, a packet of student instructions with guiding and reflecting questions, a grading rubric, a handout for participating parents and other adults, and graphic organizers for students.
Thank you very much for your interest in this product. Please check my store for more middle school science projects and activities. Thanks again!
You might also like this engineering activity, which is an inquiry approach to learning about why we have seasons:
Hacked! Learning about Seasons Through Geo-Hacking
Clip Art created by Jeanette Baker @ Jason’s Online Classroom (www.teacherspayteachers.com/store/Jasons-Online-Classroom)
Clip art also by: nrcdesignstudio.com