This lesson, designed for upper elementary/middle grade students, introduces the Engineering Design Process. Students practice 21st century skills of critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration, as they design and make letters for a classroom sign. This is a wonderful activity to start the school year. It not only helps them understand the Engineering Design Process, but it gets them working together. This is the first in a series of Makerspace lessons.
Included in this product are:
• PowerPoint lesson introducing the Engineering Design Process (22 pages)
• Script/directions for the lesson
• Information Sheet with Overview, Objectives, Materials, Process, and approximate
time needed for each part of the lesson
• Engineering Design Process worksheet for each cooperative group
• What is a Makerspace?
• Introduction to the Engineering Process
• Group Activity – Creating a letter for the Makerspace
• Evaluate and share products
Objectives: The students will:
• Learn about the engineering design process.
• Use the engineering design process and work collaboratively to create a unique letter for our makerspace sign.
This product was created by Mary Kay Erben and was designed for use in a single classroom. Copying any part of this product and/or placing it on the Internet is strictly forbidden and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
If you like this product, please rate it and give me some feedback. Have a suggestion for a product that you’d like to have? I use customer feedback to help me develop products that my customers will want. Want to be the first to know about my sales and freebies? Then Follow Me! All of my products are 25% off for the first 24-48 hours. Be the first to know about my new products by following my store!
* Click on the green star at the top of my page to become a follower!