Engineering Design Process - Balloon Car - STEM Activities - Design Thinking
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Engineering Bundle for Middle School Science: Addresses all of the middle school Engineering Standards. Students will love these engineering challenges while learning about the design process, criteria, and constraints, and other STEM Ideas. Balloon Car, flashlight, ball launcher, and more included.Price $44.00Original Price $55.00Save $11.00
- Do you want to save time in planning for middle school science? This Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS. This is a huge resource that addresses all the NGSS standards for Middle School Science! Save 20% by purchasing this bundle! Get back to the fun of teachinPrice $329.00Original Price $423.30Save $94.30
- This is a bundle for 7th Grade: NGSS Integrated Model. This bundle covers the PEs and standards for NGSS for 7th grade in California and other states using the NGSS Integrated Model. Purchase of this bundle will save you 20% on these science resources. If your state uses the integrated model, you nePrice $99.80Original Price $124.75Save $24.95
- This bundle includes my STEM engineering resources for upper elementary and middle school. You can save 20% by purchasing these resources here together. Each resource has students using design thinking to develop solutions. This set is perfect for a STEM class, an after-school engineering program, oPrice $51.80Original Price $64.75Save $12.95
- This is a bundle for 8th Grade: NGSS Integrated Model. This bundle covers the PEs and standards for NGSS for 8th grade in California and other states using the Integrated Model for 8th grade. Purchase of this bundle will save you 20% on these resources. This is the set of resources for the NGSS IntePrice $126.20Original Price $157.75Save $31.55
- This bundle includes my balloon car activity and my rubber band car activity. Students will love these STEM Challenges. Students will use the engineering design process to produce the cars, test them, and improve them. These units demonstrate a variety of motion concepts such as potential and kinetiPrice $7.50Original Price $9.00Save $1.50
- This is a custom bundle for the Arizona Science Standards for 5th Grade. This resource covers all the standards for Arizona Science 5th Grade. Arizona has a specific set of standards that align with the resources I have included. Each standard is addressed by one or more resources. Based on the ArizPrice $57.80Original Price $72.25Save $14.45
Students will use Design Thinking to create a balloon-powered car. Students will design, create a prototype, and conduct iterative testing to design and improve a balloon car. Students will consider constraints and criteria and will compare design solutions in the engineering challenge. The whole engineering process takes about 4 class periods.
This resource includes:
- A slide show on the design process
- Detailed lesson plan
- Follow-up pages
- Photos, tips, and suggestions
- Constraints, criteria and, iterative testing
- Comparing two designs
Students and Teachers Love This Resource!
Sofia ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ Extremely Satisfied
My students loved the whole design process and really benefitted from this unit. So much more included than just making the car. My students learned about interactive testing and variables. It was a great unit.
Emily ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ Extremely Satisfied
This was an interesting STEM challenge that incorporated a lot of science! My students were definitely thinking and using engineering skills! Two thumbs up!
This resource meets the following standards:
NGSS MS-ETS1-1 Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions
NGSS MS-ETS1-2.Evaluate competing design solutions
using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
Save money and purchase this in the larger bundle; Engineering for Middle School Science.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
By Lynda R. Williams
Teaching Science With Lynda
You will love these other engineering activities:
My resources, including the slide show, are not editable for copyright reasons. This resource is in pdf and ppt format.