This foldable was designed to help students synthesize their learning and understanding of the design process before, during, and/or after engineering lessons! Perfect for STEM lessons and challenges! Engineering Design Processes included are: 1. Plan 2. Imagine 3. Plan and Create 4. Improve. Guiding questions are included for each process.
The foldable also targets CCSS writing standards for opinion and expository writing. Teacher or students choose to write a how-to paragraph (expository) explaining the steps to recreate their design or an opinion paragraph that supports why they think their design is best. Prewriting templates for both are included.
How to use:
1. Construct the foldable by folding 12” x 18” construction paper (laying hotdog style) from the outside edges inwards towards the center, creating two doors. See pictures on pages 6-8 for examples.
2. Copy p. 5 (Cover Page). This is the front cover for the foldable. Glue on the front of the construction paper and then cut on the dashed line.
3. Copy p. 9-10 (Design Process Steps 1-2) front to back. This creates the inside left foldable. Fold on the solid line and cut on the dashed one.
4. Copy 11-12 (Design Process Steps 3-4) front to back. This creates the inside right foldable. Fold on the solid line and cut on the dashed one.
5. Copy p. 17 (Meet the Engineer). Glue on the inside (top or bottom) of the foldable. See pictures on pages 6-8 for examples.
6. Copy p. 14 OR 16 (Opinion Writing or Expository Writing). Glue on the inside (top or bottom) of the foldable. See pictures on pages 6-8 for examples.
7. P. 13 and 15 are prewriting templates for either type of paragraph. Teacher will decide what type of paragraph they want their students to complete (opinion or expository). *the rectangles above the writing space on each template are for students to write an appropriate transition word.
Aligns with NGSS and CCSS!
I hope you find this product useful with your students! Mine sure had fun :) I appreciate your feedback! ~Cassie