This 8 -page documents takes students through the Engineering and Design process . This document is easy to follow and can be easily modified to suit your needs . The project is completed at the end of our physics motion unit . However it can be used as a first week activity or for STEM programs .
From document "
Step 1: Need / Problem
Design and build a small car that can travel in a straight line for more than 10 meters .Your car will be powered by a small DC motor , which can be used in a variety of ways. A few materials will be provided and you need to make the best usage of what you are given.
1. Make sure you use all materials responsibly and do not mess around during the engineering project.
2. All work will be completed IN CLASS. This ensures all students have an equal amount of time to work on project
3. At a "TEACHER CHECKPOINT ___ ", students will have their work
4. Make sure to pace yourself and do not take too much time on one section
5. Understand that you will have to do constant revisions . Your first design may not work, but do not give up "
NGSS standard :
Students who demonstrate understanding can:
HS-ETS1-2.Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.