Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.12 MB | 44 pages
This bundle includes materials for Unit 3 of the English 3 - Identity, Resistance, and the American Dream course. It contains a set of primary readings, a reading-response packet, an analytical essay assignment, supplemental readings, and a minute-by-minute pacing guide for days 21-35 of the course.
This unit challenges students to analyze and compare poetry by Walt Whitman and Langston Hughes, a speech by Chief Joseph, and the stories "Story of an Hour" and "Soldier's Home" by Kate Chopin and Ernest Hemingway respectively.
The unit focuses on the following five thematic questions:
• What should a person care more about, himself or others?
• Why are individuality, diversity, and unity important?
• Why do individuality, diversity, and unity come into conflict, and when they do, which should win?
• Why do independence and love sometimes work against each other, and when they do, which should win?
• How does psychological repression lead to psychological and social paralysis?