Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.86 MB | 59 pages
This bundle includes materials for Unit 3 of the English 3 - Identity, Resistance, and the American Dream course. It contains a set of primary readings, a reading-response packet, an analytical essay assignment, supplemental readings, and a minute-by-minute pacing guide for days 71-84 of the course.
This unit challenges students to analyze and compare Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech and Rodolfo Gonzales' epic Chicano poem, "I Am Joaquin."
The unit focuses on the following five thematic questions:
• What does it mean to resist oppression creatively and self-destructively?
• Why do some people choose to resist creatively while others resist self-destructively?
• What is the American Dream, and how have different forms of marginalization and oppression interfered with it historically and continue to today?
• How has rebellion/ resistance connected to the American Dream historically and today?
• How can minorities and oppressed groups preserve their cultural identity while participating in the American Dream?