I have developed an English Spelling Notebook that I use with my Grade 3 French Immersion students in conjunction with the French Spelling Journal (found in my TPT Store) so that we do spelling in both languages. This Journal can also be used for Grade 2 English or French Immersion students as well depending on your students’ needs.
I have developed a list of frequently used words for each week for 36 weeks including 4 Holiday weeks. At the beginning of the year, the words are simple, high-frequency words that should be review for most students. Throughout the year, the words get more difficult and more at the Grade 3 level. Of course, you can add 1-2 of your own words of study to your weekly lists depending on your class’ needs.
This package includes:
1) Title Page: Glue on the cover of students’ notebooks.
2) Weekly Writing Activities by Day: There are spelling practice activities for each day of the week for students to complete.
3) Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe: As an alternative to the Weekly Spelling Activities, students can complete any three activities to make Tic-Tac-Toe.
4) Weekly Spelling Words: I have included 4 lists per page to minimize your photocopying. Students glue the list in their journal at the top of a new page with the date of that week. Students complete that week’s spelling activities on that page and maybe the next page.
5) Holiday Spelling Words: I have included a list of words for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Easter. You can do special activities for these weeks or simply use the weekly spelling activities.
*In a separate notebook, I quiz the students on the spelling words (in both French and English) each Friday and send home for parents to sign.
This program has been a success in my classroom. Although I do not put too much emphasis on the Spelling quizzes, the parents appreciate them and like to see how their child is progressing each week. I have seen an improvement in students’ spelling of high-frequency words as a result.
I hope you enjoy this package!