In this week long project students will:
1. Learn in detail about one figure of the Enlightenment period.
2. Play the role of that individual during a Parisian salon.
3. Apply Enlightenment ideas, with special emphasis on those of their assigned individual, to concrete events and problems of the period.
4. Verbally express and defend their Enlightenment thinker's views on the issues.
5. Verbally support or question the views of the other Enlightenment thinkers.
6. Develop an understanding of the wide-ranging effects of Enlightenment thinking on the political, economic, religious, social, and intellectual climate of the eighteenth century.
7. Analyze the ideas of the Enlightenment, in general, and the Enlightenment philosophers, in particular, and apply them to concrete events and problems of the period.