This lesson is designed to help students compare Enlightenment ideas to the antithetical ideas of ISIS and thereby understand why ISIS is a threat to Western values. With this purchase you will get:
- Chart of Enlightenment thinkers (Locke, Voltaire, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Beccaria, & Wollstonecraft) that includes their major works and ideas
- My explanation of how these ideas flow from the US Constitution down to the local level so students can see how these ideas affect them in their own communities
- Eight internet articles about atrocities ISIS has committed (I have shortened these and simplified them for easier reading but also included links to the full articles so students can read more deeply)
- Four more links to other articles you can use for examples or background information
- Worksheet that asks students to compare Enlightenment ideas to the atrocities ISIS has committed. These include cruel and unusual punishment, free speech, freedom of religion, property rights, etc.
Your students might also benefit from my ISIS: CNN Video with two quizzes & background information and my Enlightenment Graphic Organizers 11" x 17" and 8.5 x 11.
The Past is a Blast