Happy Earth Day! Feliz dia de la tierra!
What is included:
- Two pages of lesson plan ideas
- 4 pages of line poem vocabulary with translations (Over 150 words)
- Literature and Website references
- Student instructions formatted for your document camera or smartboard
- Line Poem Project Sample
Line poems are format poems where the words have been selected to convey a message about a current issue; in this case nature and the global environment. In the theme of this line poem, the nouns represent environmental issues and are connected to our senses by the use of adjective and verb selection. Sometimes the student message is positive and uplifting, sometimes their combination of vocabulary implies an expression of their concerns or fears. If used as a culminating activity, the line poem allows your students to demonstrate their familiarity with new concepts and terminology. When given the opportunity to discuss the issue of the environment, students do possess a profound, social conscience and can make powerful statements in Spanish.
Suggestions for use:
• Print a copy and distribute to each student for their interactive learning folders.
• Create a vocabulary list with a teacher designated quantity of nouns, verbs, etc.
• Use as a supplement to the textbook curriculum.
• Add your own environmental vocabulary to each column.
• Distribute one copy of the line poem reference for paired seat work.
• Randomly call on students (or groups) to create line poems on the board,
document camera or smartboard.
• Decorate your hallways and bulletin boards with your students’ finished projects.
Essential skills to be learned:
- Environmental terminology
Background skills and knowledge:
- Grammar and Syntax
This activity assumes that students have a basic understanding of:
• Prepositional Expressions of placement
• Gender and Number agreement
• Noun and Verb agreement
The supplied vocabulary is taken from a variety of articles and literature which were used as support material for my class ecology unit and I have also provided a short list of examples of literature and websites that were used in our units.
The line poem creates a standardized system which helps the teacher control the accuracy of the syntax. If the students diverge from the provided vocabulary, the accuracy and integrity of structure may decrease so I encourage the student to use the provided structure. This ecology unit in it’s entirety provides a variety of activities that will motivate the student to read, discuss and write, using the Spanish language and the suggested activities allow the teacher to expand or reduce the unit as needed.
Maestra Mapache has first created these activities and used in her own classroom. Secondly these activities are designed to be adaptable to any of your lesson units. Every effort has been made to ensure that all vocabulary is common usage however since language evolves rapidly, please share your feedback and suggestions for newer expressions.
This line poem lesson may be purchased individually or bundled with my Environmental Vocabulary list and Powerpoint Ecology Presentation.
Please see my other Earth Day Resources below:
Ecology Activity Worksheets A B C Bundle
Bilingual Environmental Vocabulary Thematic Reference
Ecology Club Dialogue and Activities
Good Practices Environmental Powerpoint
Reducir y Reciclar Bilingual Environmental Powerpoint
The Game of Environmental Combat